Good Grief: Walking Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death
Thur, Mar 7, 2013, 4–6:15 p.m. (networking, fellowship, and refreshments, 3:30–4 p.m.) Cost: $15 to $35, as you are able)
The “Valley of the Shadow of Death” is a mysterious place. It has shadowy places, as well as still waters, pastures of quiet repose, and even banquets for the soul. It’s often the shadowy places that prove challenging in guiding others.
How can we be wise and trusted guides, even when we ourselves might be in The Valley?
Topics include: grief theory, cumulative grief, and vicarious trauma. We will identify best practice for guiding others, and learn about the ways of grief in our own souls. Poetry, music, reflection, discussion and didactic presentation will be included.
Maria McLain Cox is a Board Certified Chaplain who worked as a Hospice Chaplain for 11 years, and is now Chaplain at McKee Medical Center in Loveland, Colorado. She has undergraduate degrees in theology and theater, and Master’s Degree in Pastoral Studies. Maria is also a Certified Massage Therapist and Reiki Master, and had a private practice for 15 years working with people in grief and loss, and people with chronic and acute medical conditions.
In addition, Maria’s own personal loss history has taken her on a wild ride through The Valley. She has presented on spirituality and grief at universities and hospice and Alzheimer’s conferences. Maria specializes in presiding at personalized funerals, and is currently teaching a course on grief to funeral directors.
- Place: St. John's Episcopal Cathedral, Denver at 1350 Washington St, Rm 101 (Enter the glass-enclosed west foyer). Park in the cathedral lot between Washington and Clarkson north of 14th Avenue or on the street nearby. (Clarkson is northbound, Washington is southbound.) GET MAP.
- Time: Thursday March 7, ’13, 4–6:15 p.m. (3:30–4 p.m.networking, fellowship and refreshments)
- Cost: $15 to $35, as you are able. Those who can give more support SDCO scholarships.
- Information: 303-420-1345 or email@example.com.
- Registration: Please register online and pay using your credit or debit card.